McCaa’s Tavern was built c. 1800 and was originally the residence and practice of Dr. John McCaa, who purchased the house and possibly enlarged it in the early 19th century. The original location was on the west side of Broad Street, slightly south of the Robert Mills Courthouse. The house was moved to Historic Camden in the 1990s and was interpreted as a country tavern because John McCaa’s father was a tavern owner in Camden in 1794. Camden was an important center of backcountry commerce and travel, leading to a proliferation of taverns and inns in the town during the post-war period. Historic Camden completed a years-long rehabilitation of the house in 2015, complete with a gorgeous cage bar made from reclaimed 18th- and 19th-century heart pine and modern amenities.
McCaa’s Tavern is a perfect place for a wedding reception with a more casual, vintage feel, rehearsal dinner, or other private party with less than 100 guests. There are two large rooms with gas fireplaces, a “tap room” featuring the cage bar, and a catering kitchen. Rental prices include tables and chairs for up to 50 guests, with the possibility of renting more tables and chairs from Historic Camden. The grounds outside the tavern, which feature picnic tables to accommodate more guests or an outdoor dancing area, are also available for rental.
Contact us to make a rental consultation appointment and to take a tour of McCaa’s Tavern: 803-432-9841 or email@example.com.