222 Broad St / PO Box 710, Camden, SC 29020
  • BLOG



    Add placed by Joseph Kershaw in the South Carolina Gazette on June 3, 1783

    Joseph Kershaw established in 1762 the first permanent inland Brickmaking Business in South Carolina. Using high quality clay discovered roughly 10-years earlier when the canals and mill pond were built for the first permanent inland sawmill and flour mill.

    From 1903 paper

    While building the first mill pond in Camden c.1752, Robert Mulhouse recovered wild clay of the highest quality. So high in fact, that locals started calling it “Porcelain Earth”.

    Since 1762 at different times they have mined clay from Kershaw’s original clay borrow pits. In fact in the early 1900’s the pits were commercially mined using steam shovels by both the Guignard Brick Works and the Camden Press Brick Co.

    Steam shovel mining clay in the early 1900’s


    The brickyard is a hands-on living history exhibit where we produce 18th century wood-fired bricks. The brickyard is located near the 1777 Gunpowder Magazine built by Joseph Kershaw using 225,140 bricks.

    Wild Clay Processing

    At the brickyard we processes wild clay for our bricks and pottery from borrow clay pits used by Joseph Kershaw’s brickmaking business over 260 years ago.

    Brick Making

    Visitors to the colonial brickyard at Historic Camden throughout the spring and summer can participate in the making of colonial bricks and in the fall they can help us build and wood-fire the brick kiln.

    Wood-firing Bricks

    In late fall at Historic Camden’s colonial brickyard we build a brick kiln called a clamp to burn the green bricks made by visitors during the spring and summer.

    Make A Difference

    The Historic Camden Foundation is not state or federally funded so we rely on individual donations. Even a small donation truly helps. So please send a gift and make a difference!