THE REDOUBT & ARTILLERY
The Southeast Redoubt is going through total restoration of its earthworks. Along with the construction of a blockhouse and the addition a working British 3.5 Howitzer on a field carriage, and a working French 6-pounder called “La Populaire” on a field carriage.
The redoubt’s refurbished fortifications will have much higher walls and a deeper and wider dry mote. The artillery deck will be much more substantial and will dominate the skyline when viewed from the Rev War Center.
A blockhouse is a structure that was found within fortifications such as a redoubt. A blockhouse served as barracks for troops. And if overrun by enemy troops as the citadel for their last stand against the incoming forces.
French 6-Pounder “La Populaire”
We are building an authentic solid 18th century white oak field carriage with a removable catafalque for “La Populaire” a cannon originally cast in 1757 in France and surrendered at York Town October 15, 1781.
British 3.5 Howitzer
We are building an authentic solid 18th century white oak howitzer field carriage for a fireable bronze 3.5” howitzer. The howitzer will be located on the artillery deck of the redoubt and used to salute VIP’s and school kids
MAKE A DIFFERENCE
The Historic Camden Foundation is not state or federally funded so we relay on individual donations. Even a small donation truly helps. So please send a gift and make a difference!