The brickyard is a hands-on living history exhibit where we produce 18th century wood-fired bricks. The brickyard is located near the 1777 Gunpowder Magazine built by Joseph Kershaw using 225,140 bricks.
Visitors to the colonial brickyard at Historic Camden throughout the spring and summer can participate in the making of colonial bricks and in the fall they can help us build and wood-fire the brick kiln.
In late fall at Historic Camden’s colonial brickyard we build a brick kiln called a clamp to burn the green bricks made by visitors during the spring and summer.
Wild Clay Processing
At the brickyard we processes wild clay for our bricks and pottery from borrow clay pits used by Joseph Kershaw’s brickmaking business over 260 years ago.
The Historic Camden Foundation is not state or federally funded so we rely on individual donations. Even a small donation truly helps. So please send a gift and make a difference!