Historic Camden Foundation wants to highlight some of the historic preservation efforts of the Daughters of the American Revolution here in South Carolina. In Kershaw County, the Hobkirk’s Hill Chapter led the efforts to save the site of the Battle of Camden in 1907 setting aside 5 acres of the core battlefield. Within that preservation, this group of local women, (Who incidentally were not allowed to vote in national or local elections at the time) conceived of, funded and protected the land, and artifacts of that 1780 battle for independence. In so protecting, they along with DAR chapters across the United States, became leaders in preserving our nation’s Revolutionary War story.
Some of the significant Revolutionary War areas across South Carolina connected to DAR preservation efforts can be found here:
Included therein are the following:
Birthplace of Andrew Jackson Monument Marker, Van Wyck community
Buford Battleground and Gravesite, Tradesville vicinity
Culbertson Back Country Settlement, Laurens County
Fort Watson Monument, South of Summerton
General Francis Marion’s Tomb, Pineville
King’s Mountain Battlefield, York
Old Waxhaw Church and Cemetery, Lancaster City
The Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon, Charleston
Impactful preservation which the SC DAR has led and made significant effort to protect include: The South Carolina DAR Forest – between Camden and Cheraw, where sixty-six thousand five hundred Penny Pines were planted in 1940
The Tamassee School, in Tamassee, South Carolina, founded in 1919 to serve the underprivileged children of Appalachia. Historic buildings can be observed on the school campus.
In recent years the Hambright Chapter of North Carolina dedicated an impressive marker honoring African American patriots at the Battle of Kings Mountain (2016).
In 2012, the Elizabeth Hutchinson Jackson Chapter, Indian Land, SC dedicated a memorial to honor Colonel Abraham Buford and his regiment of 350 Virginians. Nearly all were either killed or wounded by Colonel Tarleton’s British Army, even though they waved the white flag of surrender.
In 1950, Clarendon County: Elizabeth Peyre Richardson Manning Chapter honored General Francis Marion and Colonel Henry Lee and their militia which captured British Fort Watson on April 23, 1781 with the use of the Maham tower. This capture secured the Santee River crossing and path so that the British could not re-supply Camden, which led to the British loss in the South Carolina backcountry.
As you visit state historical sites, please take the time to note the important preservation efforts of the Daughters of the American Revolution.