222 Broad St / PO Box 710, Camden, SC 29020
  • BLOG



    When visiting Historic Camden guests will find a number of historic homes awaiting them. Most of these structures are original and were relocated to our site for preservation and display. The forge and dogtrot are reproductions, both built in their respective 18th and 19th century architectural styles. We are happy and proud to serve as stewards for these buildings, working to preserve them and their history for everyone to appreciate.

    Kershaw House

    Joseph Kershaw, Camden’s founding father’s circa 1778 townhouse served as Lord Cornwallis’ headquarters during the occupation of Camden by British forces from June 1780 to May 1781.

    Bonds Conway House

    The Bonds Conway House was built about 1811 by Bonds Conway, the first African American in Camden to purchase his own freedom. The house has two floors and lovely oversized floorboards.

    Craven House

    The John Craven home is a prime example of Georgian architecture. This white frame house, circa 1789, is one of only two remaining houses in Camden built in the 18th century. Most of the interior woodwork is original.

    Cunningham House

    This Federal-styled residence, circa 1835, exhibits the fine craftsmanship of the early 19th-century Camden builders. The original structure consisted of only the front two rooms.

    McCaa’s Tavern

    The Dr. McCaa home / office is circa 1800, clapboard building built during a period of architectural transition from the Georgian style to the Federal styles and has an uncommon look for the Camden area. The building is currently interpreted as a late 18th century tavern.

    Drakeford House

    This house was built about 1812 by a man named Richard Drakeford, a noted patriot soldier. Originally located twelve miles north of town, it was dismantled and rebuilt on site in 1970. It is set to undergo restoration work in the future and currently serves as the hub for our kitchen house garden and farm.

    Bradley House

    This early 19th century log structure was built about nine miles east of Camden. After being moved to Historic Camden, its rebuilding included the need to cover all but the porch side pine logs with clapboard because of deterioration. A Colonial Potter’s Wheel is on exhibit inside and demonstrations are conducted each month during our open house event.


    The Historic Camden Foundation is not state or federally funded so we rely on individual donations. Even a small donation truly helps. So please send a gift and make a difference!